The sponsoring University department should be prepared to arrange for transportation by official University vehicle(s), rental vehicle(s), chartered service, or regularly scheduled transportation service, or if necessary, personal vehicles. The following rules obtain to the use of vehicles.

University Vehicles:

Rental Vehicles:

  • If rented with University funds, only University employees shall drive; all terms of rental contract must be complied with. The University prohibits departments or employees from renting 15 passenger vans on or for University business.

Contract Bus Service:

  • Adequate insurance coverage for personal injury and property damage must be provided by the bus company; if the company carries less than five(5) million dollars per occurrence, the Risk Management department shall be consulted to determine if a lower coverage amount is acceptable.

Regularly Scheduled Carriers:

  • Regular scheduled transportation service providers (e.g., Greyhound, Amtrak) may be utilized for field trip transportation.

Personal Vehicles:

  • Should only be used on a voluntary basis; the owners/drivers must provide their own insurance coverage; all student participants choosing to ride in a private automobile do so voluntarily and at their own risk. The University shall not insure or accept liability for any damage, loss or injury resulting from the use of a student participant’s vehicle(s). The University does not provide comprehensive or collision (physical damage) insurance for an employee’s personal vehicle driven on University business and the employee is responsible for primary liability insurance. The University does carry non-owned excess liability coverage to protect the University and employee in the event of a suit resulting from an automobile accident in which an employee was driving on university business.