Syracuse University recognizes that returning staff members to work following an injury or illness benefits both the staff member and the employer. Therefore, Syracuse University has developed Return to Work procedures to ensure that this takes place in a safe and responsible manner.
Any employee, absent from work for more than one continuous week must obtain a return to work form to be completed by the employee’s supervisor and the employee’s health care provider.
- In preparing to return to work, you must first obtain a “Return to Work Form” from your department. When you receive it, your supervisor should have completed their section of the form. If this form has not been made available to you, you should immediately contact your department.
- You should then bring this form to your attending health care provider and ask him/her to complete the Physician section indicating your return to work date. Once completed, either:
- Your Physician’s office may fax the form to Risk Management, at 315.443.1154 or
- You may bring the signed form into Risk Management, prior to your return to work date to verify proper completion.
- If you have been cleared to report to work without restrictions, no further action needs to be taken. However, if you have been cleared with restrictions, Risk Management will discuss with your department whether or not your restrictions may be accommodated. You will be advised before your return to work date.
Please note: It is your responsibility to be sure that this form is on file in Risk Management prior to your return to work