Workers’ Compensation Q&A

Question 1: What is Workers’ Compensation?

Answer: Workers’ Compensation is insurance that provides employees injured on the job with partial wage reimbursement and payments for medical care related to the injury.

Question 2: What do I do if I am injured at work?

Answer: Any work related injury or illness, including needle sticks or exposures, must be reported to your supervisor. This includes any injury occurring on University premises, while on University assignment off University premises, and any illness which you believe may have been caused by your University work. Complete and submit the Injury Report.

Question 3: What happens after I report the injury or illness to my supervisor?

Answer: After verbally reporting the incident to your supervisor, the Workers’ Compensation Injury Report must be completed.

Question 4: What if I originally didn’t seek treatment for the illness or injury and then need to see a physician?

Answer: Notify PMA or Risk Management and obtain your claim information.

Question 5: Where can I go for treatment for a work related injury?

Answer: You may see any health care provider that accepts Workers’ Compensation cases.

Question 6: Do I need to provide the treating physician with any information?

Answer: Yes, the treating physician will ask for the claim number, insurance company name, address, and phone number.

Question 7: Where can I get this information?

Answer: You may contact:

Risk Management at 315.443.5106 or

PMA, the University’s Third Party Administrator for Workers’ Compensation at 888.476.2669

Question 8: How do the bills I incur related to this illness or injury get paid?

Answer: Once a claim number is issued, the bills associated with this claim will be sent to PMA for processing and payment, therefore, it is important that you notify Risk Management if treatment is required.

Question 9: Does lost time covered under my workers compensation claim impact Family Medical Leave Act eligibility?

Answer: Yes, Family Medical Leave Act time does run concurrently with covered lost time on and accepted workers compensation leave.